Monday, January 10, 2011

This Day in Goodlove History, January 10

• • This Day in Goodlove History, January 10

• By Jeffery Lee Goodlove

• jefferygoodlove@aol.com



• Surnames associated with the name Goodlove have been spelled the following different ways; Cutliff, Cutloaf, Cutlofe, Cutloff, Cutlove, Cutlow, Godlib, Godlof, Godlop, Godlove, Goodfriend, Goodlove, Gotleb, Gotlib, Gotlibowicz, Gotlibs, Gotlieb, Gotlob, Gotlobe, Gotloeb, Gotthilf, Gottlieb, Gottliebova, Gottlob, Gottlober, Gottlow, Gutfrajnd, Gutleben, Gutlove



• The Chronology of the Goodlove, Godlove, Gottlob, Gottlober, Gottlieb (Germany) etc., and Allied Families of Battaile, (France), Crawford (Scotland), Harrison (England), Jackson (Ireland), LeClere (France), Lefevre (France), McKinnon (Scotland), Plantagenets (England), Smith (England), Stephenson (England?), Vance (Ireland from Normandy), and Winch (England, traditionally Wales), including correspondence with -George Rogers Clarke, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson.



• The Goodlove/Godlove/Gottlieb families and their connection to the Cohenim/Surname project:

• New Address! http://www.familytreedna.com/public/goodlove/default.aspx



• This project is now a daily blog at:

• http://thisdayingoodlovehistory.blogspot.com/

• Goodlove Family History Project Website:

• http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/o/o/Jeffery-Goodlove/



• Books written about our unique DNA include:

• “Abraham’s Children, Race, Identity, and the DNA of the Chosen People” by Jon Entine.



• “ DNA & Tradition, The Genetic Link to the Ancient Hebrews” by Rabbi Yaakov Kleiman, 2004.



• My thanks to Mr. Levin for his outstanding research and website that I use to help us understand the history of our ancestry. Go to http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/ for more information. “For more information about the Weekly Torah Portion or the History of Jewish Civilization go to the Temple Judah Website http://www.templejudah.org/ and open the Adult Education Tab "This Day...In Jewish History " is part of the study program for the Jewish History Study Group in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.



A point of clarification. If anybody wants to get to the Torah site, they do not have to go thru Temple Judah. They can use http://DownhomeDavarTorah.blogspot.com and that will take them right to it.



Birthdays on this date: David Vance, Harvey Taylor, Thomas Sherman, Daisy M. Kruse, Shirly K. Gritton, Jacqulin K. Goodlove, Sara Ginsberg,







Weddings on this date; Elizabeth Vance and William Davidson, Cloanne Koppenhaven and William S. Cunningham.



I Get Email!



In a message dated 1/3/2011 3:50:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,



Hi Jeffery. I was doing some family research and came across your blog and some sites you listed.

There is one, a family tree site, you have listed at:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/o/o/Jeffery-Goodlove/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0614.html

I just wanted to point out that the son of Perry Godlove, Albert, you have listed is probably not the proper Albert. This is the portion of the Godlove family that heads toward me. Perry did have a son named Albert, but his birth and death were far earlier than you have listed. If you'd like details on Albert and his tree, I can forward them to you. My paternal grandmother was a Godlove from Indiana.

I like the day-in-the-life-of-Goodlove blog. I'm amazed where you found all the information. I'm not yet to the point that I can identify which of your Goodloves might be my Godloves, but I started reading the articles nonetheless.

J S

J, Thank you for contacting me about the error in the tree regarding Albert Godlove. I admit there does seem to be an error. I would like to have a copy Albert's tree and any other information you would like to share. Thank you for the nice compliment on the blog. It is a nice way to get in contact with people who are curious about their ancestry or have information they can add. I look forward to hearing from you. If you would rather mail the information my address is Jeff Goodlove, 377 Walnut Avenue, Elgin, IL 60123.



Jeff Goodlove





This Day…

January 10, 49 BCE: Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signaling the start of civil war. Caesar’s opposition was led by Pompey, the Roman who defiled the Holy of Holies, mocked the Jewish religion and shipped thousands of Jewish slaves to Rome. On the other hand, once Caesar had won the war, he allowed the walls of Jerusalem to be rebuilt, instituted a taxation system that took the sabbatical year into consideration and made it possible for the Jews living in the Italian peninsula to form into communities. The Jews living under Caesar must have thought him to be at least the “lesser of two evils” if not a “good guy” since Romans of the time took note of the unusual grief displayed by the Jews when he was assassinated by Brutus and his cohorts.[1]

January 10, 1072: Robert Guiscard conquers Palermo, Sicily. His new subjects certainly included at least some Jews. By the time the Norman warrior took control of the Sicilian city, Jews had been living on the island for at least 400 hundred years since records exist of letters being written to Pope Gregory I whose papacy ended in 604, about the conditions of the Jews living in Sicily. Conditions for the Jews would later deteriorate when the Crusaders stopped at the Island and by the start of the 15th century Jews would be living in Ghettos.[2]

January 10, 1276: Pope Gregory X passed away. During his papacy Gregory acquiesced to a request by the Jews and issued a bull “which ordained that they were not to be made by brute force to undergo baptism, and that no injury was to be inflicted upon their person or their property.”[3]

No. 21.—William CRAWFORD TO George WASHINGTON.



SPRING GARDEN, January 10, 1774.

DEAR Sir:—Since I wrote you, Doctor Connolly called on me on his way from Williamsburgh, and tells me that it is now without doubt that the new government is fallen through, and that Lord Dunmore is to take charge of so much of this quarter as falls out of Pennsylvania. [4] He further told me that you had applied for my land as an officer, and could not obtain it without a certificate, or my being present; which puts me at a loss, in some measure, how to take it, especially as you have not written on that head. Lord Dunmore promised me most faithfully, that when I sent him the draft of the land on the Little Kanawha that he would patent it for me; and in my letter to you I mentioned it, but have not heard anything from you relating to it. I understand, by the Doctor, that the whole is to be laid out in counties; if so, I hope I may-have a chance for a county to survey, as Lord Dunmore promised me to serve me that way if it should be in his power.

Should the colony of Virginia take place on the west of Pennsylvania, I should think you might get a patent for your land on Miller’s run, and that would put an end to any further dispute.

I should be glad to hear the opinion of the Governor about Colonel Croghan’s grant, if possible; and if he is allowed it, on what footing it will be. Doctor Connolly says that Lord Dunmore told him Colonel Crogan’s grant was good, which is much disputed here, as there have been so many attempts made by him to deceive the people. I should be very glad to hear in what light his grant stands amongst the gentlemen of Virginia. As to the bounds of his grant, it stands as I have shown you in my letter—what he has a right to by his Indian deed, and what he has taken over and above that. -

Doctor Connolly also informs me that you and Colonel Basset intend coming up in the spring, in order to proceed down the river, If so, let me know as soon as convenient, and what number of hands you will take, so that I can provide for you accordingly. If I can make a canoe with­out any fault in its draw, I believe I can make one that will take you and Colonel Basset amid all your stock of provisions; and you shall have one for your people and their provisions ; then you will not be incumbered. Your vessel shall be light and run well, as I have the best method of building them, and have lately made some of the best canoes on the run. There is a large company going down in the spring. I am, etc.[5]



James Cleveland and George Washington, January 10, 1775, Contract and

Instructions



January 10, 1775.



As I am resolved, if no unforeseen accident happens to prevent it, to have my people at work upon my lands on the Ohio, by the last day of March, no steps previous to this undertaking should be delayed, by which a disappointment must follow. I, therefore, knowing it will take some time to collect provisions, and tools to carry on this work, and that the transportation of them in the spring early over the Allegany Mountains may be attended with difficulty and uncertainty, do request and require you to go immediately over to Gilbert Simpson’s in the Redstone settlement, and there do, or attempt to do, the following things:-­First. Engage anywhere between one hundred and fifty and two hundred bushels of Indian corn, and

to prevent disappointments, let it be actually lodged at Gilbert Simpson’s before the first day of March. Also engage upon the best terms you can to be delivered as aforesaid, about fifteen hundredweight of bacon; and desire Mr. Simpson by all means to have them securely lodged for you at his house by that time at furthest.



Second. Engage upon the best terms you can, such, and so many canoes, as are absolutely necessary to transport your provisions and tools down the river. And to avoid the expence of bags as much as possible, try if one of the canoes cannot be fitted up in such a manner as to carry your corn and bacon with the assistance of one or two only. Perhaps the canoes built for me last year may again be got. Speak to Major Crawford on this head.



Third. If Mr. Simpson has not already moved all the tools and necessaries which were carried out for me last spring, from Val. Crawford’s, let it be done as soon as you get out. Here with is a list of what he acknowledges he had left upon hand in September last, as also of what he carried out. Take an exact account of everything you find and have them secured at Mr. Simpson’s ready at your departure down the river. After which see what things you will want for your undertaking down the river, and then



Fourth. Try if they are to be had out there, at what prices, and if you find the only difference to lie in the expence of the carriage out, endeavor to buy every thing you can want there, rather than run the hazard of sending them from hence in March, and have them lodged as above; for if you do not get every thing into his possession, you may more than probable depend upon promises, and be disappointed after your men are assembled and ready to start, which must occasion a delay, and of course a loss to me. not only of time, but in having men upon expences.

Fifth. It may not be amiss to engage potatoe seed, Pease, and such things, as will not only contribute to your better living, but will, in case corn should be found very scarce and difficult to be got make the less of it necessary; for I do expect that from the breaking up of the plantations last year, and the great number of people that will be going over this, that corn will be very scarce and exceeding dear. If you could get peach, or any other kind of fruit stones, or apple seeds, it would not be amiss to engage them to carry out with you.



Sixth. Inasmuch as both time and expences will be saved by engaging men in the Redstone settlement to go with you down the river, I would have you make diligent enquiry whether they are to be had, and upon what terms, and engage at least five upon the best terms you can, and have them bound in the articles given you. If you should meet with such people as you think will answer the purpose, in your own neighborhood or elsewhere, you might engage them, provided you can depend upon their going at the proper time and will transport themselves without any expence to me.



Seventh. If you can hire negro fellows, or choose to carry any of your own, upon the terms I mentioned to you, there will not in that case be occasion to hire so many white men as above (to wit, five). And as I am told that there are three of the servants which I sent out last spring still at Mr. Val. Crawford’s and his brother, Captain Crawford’s, ready to be employed in my service; you may direct them to stay where they are, and be ready again the 15th of March; or if Gilbert Simpson wants hands for my mill work, let them be employed (instead or hirelings) there, till the 15th of March aforesaid.



Eight. As the rest of the servants were sold, and the money by this time become due, I have desired Mr. Val. Crawford, if he has received it, to pay it to you; and if he has not, to let you have the purchaser’s bonds, which give to Mr. Simpson, and desire him to collect the money and apply it towards payment of the mill accounts. If you can get corn, or other provisions, tools, or other things of Val. Crawford, I would have you do it, as it will save me the payment of cash; but be sure to have the matter fixed in such a manner with him as to run no risque of a disappointment.



You may get corn and other things from Captain Crawford, in like manner; but that you may not depend too much upon these uncertain chances, I now furnish you with £60, Pennsylvania money, and whatever it falls short of the amount of your purchases I will supply when you go out again, that everybody may be paid for what you get of them.



As I must set off for the Assembly by the first of February, and shall want to see you before I go, I would have you endeavor [if] it can conveniently be done, to be down here by that time. I have nothing more to add at present than to wish you success in your journey, and am &c.[6] [7]





* INSTRUCTIONS FOR JAMES CLEVELAND



Sir: I earnestly recommend to you to follow after the Peopl I have sent out as soon as you can do it with safety, as mud depends upon making a proper beginning.

If you should not arrive at Gilbert Simpson’s till after Willian Stevens is gone with the People, Provision, and Tools; you wil follow them by Land, or Water, as you shall find it most con venient. I directed Stevens to leave his Baggage Horses there,ii order that you might go by Land if you chose it, as it would b the most expeditious way and you would want the Horses on the Land to draw in your Logs, Plow, and bring in your Game

If you should go by Land, I shall have no objections to you buying, and carrying two or three Cows down with you, if the are to be had upon reasonable terms. If you should buy Cow get a Bull also that the Breed may be propagated. You will fin a Bell necessary for them, as also for the Horses.

As you know the general Plan, and design of my Seating these Lands, I shall not hamper you with particular Instruc tions, but leave you to be governd by Circumstances. My firs and indeed principal aim, is, to save as much Land as possibi in the shortest time, and at the least expence. If this could b done in such a manner, and by such means, as to be serviceabi hereafter, it would be so much the better; and for this reaso:

it is, I shall leave you to act from Circumstances.

It runs in my head, that if there is a good stream of Wate upon any of the Tracts, and a convenient place, out of the wa of Freshes, to build a Mill that this might be as good a metho as any to save the Land provided an Industrious Millwrigh could be engaged and there could be any certain prospect c getting Iron work without much trouble or Inconvenience.

When you see Steven’s, call for the Instruction’s I gave hin in order that you may see what is there required and gover yourself thereby as nearly as Circumstances will permit; for I do not mean to tye you down strictly to any certain Rule, but to allow you to Act in such a manner as shall appear most for my Interest.

If you should find any of the white Servants obstinate, and de­termind not to behave well, I hereby give you full power and Authority to sell and dispose of them to the best advantage. I havegiven Stevens a description of each, that in case any should attempt to runaway, they may be advertisd, and every pains :aken to recover them that can be consistently.

Write to me by every opportunity, as it is very probable that lot one Letter in five will come to hand. Mention in all of hem, therefore, what you want and how you go on.

After you have got a place Inclosed, try and buy me all the 3uffaloe Calves you can get and make them as gentle as possible. would not stick at any reasonable price for them, especially he Cow Calves, but I should like at least two Bull Calves for ear of Accidents as I am very anxious to raise a Breed of them. Take the two Servants from Majr. Crawford’s that he offered, f you find from their Character that they will answer your )Urpose, and that they will be useful to you. If you get them, ‘ou may, in my name, promise them a year of their time if they ‘ehave so as to deserve it.

I wish you your Health and success and am, etc.98





98These instructions, undated, are in the writing of Washington, on a sheet of the me paper as the instructions of January so, and appear to have been folded and filed ith them. They may have been written in April. Ford thinks they should be dated ter March 6.





Edmund Pendleton to George Washington, January 10, 1775



EDMD. PENDLETON Jany. 10th: 1775



DR SIR,



Mr. Valentine Crawford and Mr. John Neavill have given bonds to Mr. Benjamin Temple for £400. for Lands sold them on the Ohio, in which a brother of mine is Interested--the remote Situation of those Gentn. makes it difficult to know how to come at the money, and they think your Connection with that Country, & particularly wth. Mr. Crawford will enable you to serve them in it, as they would be happy in getting the money into your hands. They requested I would write you on the subject, and if it should be in your power to serve them without trouble or inconvenience, I shall esteem it a favr. & shall be glad of a line by Post of its probability.



I hope you found yr. Family well & are by this time recruited so as to make the Assembly Campaign in February. My Compts. to Mrs. Washington, Mr. Custis & his Lady. I am



Sir Yr. mo. humble Servt.

EDMD. PENDLETON[8]





January 10, 1776

Common Sense is published by Thomas Paine.[9]



In the early ages of the world, according to the scrip­ture chronology, there were no kings; the consequence of which was there were no wars; it is the pride of kings which throws mankind into confusion. Holland, with­out a king, hath enjoyed more peace for the last century than any of the monarchical governments of Europe.

Antiquity favours the same remark; for the quiet and rural lives of the first patriarchs have a happy something in them, which vanishes when we come to the history of Jewish royalty.

Government by kings was first introduced into the world by the Heathens, from whom the children of Israel copied the custom. It was the most prosperous invention that was ever set on foot for the promotion of Idolatry. The heathen paid divine honours to their deceased kings, and the Christian world hath improved on the plan by doing the same to their living ones. How impious is the title of sacred majesty applied to a worm, who in the midst of his splendor is crumbling into dust!

As the exalting one man so greatly above the rest, can­not be justified on the equal rights of nature, so neither can it be defended on the authority of Scripture; for the’ will of the Almighty as declared by Gideon, and the prophet Samuel, expressly disapproves of government by kings. All anti-monarchical parts of Scripture, have been very smoothly glossed over in monarchical govern­ments, but they undbubtedly merit the attention of countries, which have their governments yet to form. Render unto Cesar the things which are Cesar’s, is the scripture doctrine of courts, yet it is no support of monarchical government, for the Jews at that time were without a king. and in a state of vassalage to the Romans.

Near three thousand years passed away from the Mosaic account of the creation, till the Jews, under a national delusion, requested a king. Till then their form of government (except in extraordinary cases, where the Almighty interposed) was a kind of republic,

administered by a judge and the elders of the tribes. Kings they had none, and it was held sinful to acknowl­edge any being under that title but the Lord of Hosts. And when a man seriously reflects on the idolatrous homage which is paid to the persons of kings he need not wonder that the Almighty, ever jealous of his honor, should disapprove a form of government which so im­piously invades the prerogative of heaven.

Monarchy is ranked in scripture as one of the sins of the Jews, for which a curse in reserve is denounced against them. The history of that transaction is worth attending to.

The children of Israel being oppressed by the Mid­ianites, Gideon marched against them with a small army, and victory, through the divine interposition, decided in his favor. The Jews, elate with success, and attributing it to the generalship of Gideon, proposed making him a king, saying, Rule thou over us, thou and thy son, and thy son’s son. Here was temptation in its fullest extent; not a kingdom only, but an hereditary one, but Gideon in the piety of his soul replied, I will not rule over you, neither shall my son rule over you, THE LORD SHALL RULE OVER YOU. Words need not be more explicit; Gideon doth not decline the honcif, but denieth their right to give it; neither doth he compli­ment them with invented declarations of his thanks, but in the positive style of a Prophet charges them with dis­affection to their proper Sovereign, the King of heaven.

About one hundred years after this, they fell again into the same error. The hankering which the Jews had for the idolatrous customs of the Heathens, is something exceedingly unaccountable; but so it was, That laying hold of the misconduct of Samuel’s two sons, who were intrusted with some secular concerns, they came in an abrupt and clamorous manner to Samuel, saying, Be­hold thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways, now make us a king to judge us like all the other na­tions. And here we cannot but observe that their mo­tives were bad, viz, that they might be like unto other nations, i.e. the Heathen, whereas their true glory lay in being as much unlike them as possible. But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, Give us a king to judge us; and Samuel prayed unto the Lord, and the Lord said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee, for t~ey have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, THAT I SHOULD NOT REIGN OVER THEM. According to all the works which Ihey have done since the day that I bro’t them up out of Egypt, even unto this day; where­with they have forsake.n me, and served other Gods; so do they also unto thee. Now therefore hearken unto their voice, how beit, protest solemnly unto them and show them the manner of the king that shall reign over them, i.e. not of any particular king, but the general manner of the kings of the earth, whom Israel was so eagerly copying after. And notwithstanding the great distance of time and difference of manners, the charac ter is still in fashion. And Samuel told all the words of the Lord unto the people, that asked of him a king. And he said, This shall be the manner of the king that shall reigh over you; he will take your sons and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horse­men, and some shall run before his chariots (this descrip­tion agrees with the present mode of impressing men) and he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties, and will set them to ear his ground and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots; and he will take your daughters to be con fectionaries, and to be cooks and to be bakers (this describes the expense and luxury as well as the oppression of kings) and he will take your fields and your olive yards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants; and he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give them to his officers and to his servants (by which we see that bribery, corruption, and favoritism, are the standing vices of kings) and he will take the tenth of your men servants, and your maid servants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work: and he will take the tenth of your sheep, and ye shall be his servants, and ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen, AND THE LORD WILL NOT HEAR YOU IN THAT DAY. This accounts for the continuation of monarchy; neither do the charac­ters of the few good kings which have lived since, either sanctify the title, or blot out the sinfulness of the origin:the high encomium given of David takes no notice of him officially as a king, but only as a man after God’s own heart. Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel, and they said, Nay, but we will have a king over us, that we may be like all the nations, and that our king may judge us, and go out before us and fight our battles. Samuel continued to reason with them, but to no purpose; he set before them their in gratitude, but all would not avail; and seeing them fully bent on their folly, he cried out, I will call unto the

I

Lord, and he shall send thunder and rain (which was then a punishment, being in the time of wheat harvest) that ye may perceive and see that your wickedness is great which ye have done in the sight of the Lord, IN ASKING YOU A KING. So Samuel called unto the Lord, and the Lord sent thunder and rain that day, and all the people greatly feared the Lord and Samuel. And all the people said unto Samuel, Pray for thy servants unto the Lord thy God that we die not, for WE HAVE ADDED UNTO OUR SINS THIS EVIL, TO ASK A KING. These portions of scripture are direct and positive. They admit of no equivocal construction. That the Almighty hath here entered his protest against monarchical government is true, or the scrip­ture is false. And a man hath good reason to be­lieve that there is as much of kingcraft, as priestcraft in withholding the scripture from the public in Popish countries. For monarchy in every instance is the Popery of government.[10]



1776

The state’s constitution of 1776 limited service in the General Assembly to men who could take the oath of office professing faith in the divine authorship of both the Old and New Testaments.[11]



January 10, 1880: On January 9th we were at latitude 29° 58’ north, off St. Augustine. Toward evening a severe storm arose, mingled with sleet and hail, which lasted until the morning of January 10th, [12]whereupon a complete calm ensued with such warm air that one could remain outside in his shirt. We thanked God that we could move our legs again and take fresh air on the deck. A ship sailing alongside ours gave us the doleful news that all the horses had been thrown overboard, and that many ships were dismasted and shipwrecked. [13]



January 10, 1781: Alexander Vance held one of the 4 land warrants issued for Tyrone County (his was issued April 3, 1769, but not surveyed till April 11,1788). John Vance, Moses' father settled on a tract of land in 1766. John Vance (d. 1772) "who's ancestors came from Scotland and Ireland, was a native of Virginia". He came to PA with his sister's husband Col. William Crawford. John was already married to his wife Margaret White before he left VA. John died young leaving his wife Margaret to raise their 6 children, David, William, Moses, Jane, Elizabeth, and Maria. "Among the records of property is one where, under date of January 10, 1781, Margaret Vance, widow of John Vance, reported the list of her registered slaves, - one female, named Priscilla, aged twenty-seven years, and two males, Harry and Daniel, aged respectively seven and three years.

Priscilla and Harry afterwards became the property of the daughter, Jane Vance who was married to Benjamin Whalley. The son David (Vance) settled in Kentucky, and William (Vance) remained on the old place until middle life, when he died, never having married. Moses Vance also stayed upon the homestead, and when, in 1790, the land upon which his father's family had lived so long was warrented to Benjamin Whalley, two hundred and fifty acres of it was transferred to him and upon that he resided until his death.

Moses Vance's wife was Elizabeth, a daughter of Jacob Strickler, and they reared a family of seven sons and two daughters, John, Jacob, Samuel, Francis, William, Crawford, George, Margaret, and Eliza. John still lives on the old Gamer place, Jacob is in Lower Tyrone, and William's home is in Connellsville. Before leaving his native town, Tyrone, William held the office of justice of the peace for some years. George Vance removed to Illinois, and Samuel, Francis, Crawford, and Margaret are dead." [14]

January 10th, 1781



The above mentioned corps of our army returned to winter quarters on Long Island, having accomplished nothing.[15]



January 10, 1784: Louis XVI of France abolished the poll-tax on Jews in Alsace-Lorraine. This tariff, the same as for market animals was paid by Jews who wished to enter certain cities. The poll tax had been instituted in many countries in Europe, dating back as far as the Roman Emperor Domitian (93CE) though it was only adopted in Europe in the 14th century.[16]





January 10, 1786



[17]





1786

Conrad Cutliff born



"Walter Crockett of Wythe vs. Gordon Cloyd and others--O. S. 33; N. S.
11--Bill filed 9th July, 1798. James McCorkle and Wm. Christian, partners
in 1775, gave their bond with Walter Crockett as sureties. McCorkle
is dead, leaving heiresses Peggy Adams, wife of William Adams and
Rebecca Thompson, wife of Andrew Thompson. Copy of deed William
Christian and Anne to James McCorkle, dated 16th August, 1784, and
proved in Montgomery County 25th August, 1784. Copy of will of James
McCorkle of Montgomery County, dated 5th February, 1794, proved in
Montgomery May Court, 1794. Niece Margaret McCorkle, wife of William
Adams. Nieces Martha and Rebecca McCorkle. Tract called Dunkard Bottom.
Martha McCorkle, widow of brother William McCorkle.
Martha and William were parents of three nieces above. Devise to Robert
Currin, Jr., son of Robert. Depositions in Winchester, 29th June, 1805.
Michael Switzer 25 years old. Paul Kauffman 23 or 24 years old. Michael
Houseman aged 28. Conrad Cutliff aged 19 (Gotlieb?). Francis Cutliff
aged 61."
---------------
Winchester is the county seat of Frederick Co., Va. Who is this Francis
and Conrad Cutliff? Why was Gotlieb mentioned with the deposition of Conrad
Cutliff? Are these depositions still at the courthouse (either Frederick or
Augusta)?
In previous email to this Cutlip list, a David Cutliff, of Warren Co.,
Ky., was mentioned as being born in Warren Co., Va., in 1790, but later
changed to Greenbrier County. There is a Warren County, Va. WARREN COUNTY,
VA - Created in 1836 from Frederick & Shenandoah Counties.
Enough said for now.
Best regards,
Harold
-----------------
EHBright@aol.com[18]

1786

Yohogania County Dissolved.[19]



January 10, 1788

Connecticut becomes the fifth state to ratify the Constitution.[20]

January 10, 1798: Anti-Jewish riots took place in Ancona, Italy.[21]



January 10, 1861

Florida secedes from the Union.[22]



]Sun. January 10, 1864

At home weather moderate had corn porry[23]



January 10, 1865 To ancestor and Governor Zebulon Vance, from Robert E. Lee [24]

[25]

[26]

Anna Goodlove at the State Capital at Raleigh, North Carolina with the statue of Zebulon Vance, her 4th cousin, 5 times removed, in 2008.

Wolf Gottlieb, born January 10, 1902 in Perehinsko. Resided Nordhausen. Deportation: October 28, 1938, Poland. [27]

January 10, 1907 (Jordon’s Grove Jingles) Jessie Goodlove returned to her school duties at Cedar Rapids, Saturday.[28]

January 10, 1918

Harold Goodlove is numbered among the sick.[29]



January 10, 1941: All the Jews of the Netherlands are registered.[30]



January 10-11, 1942: The Japanese invade the Netherlands East Indies.[31]



January 10, 1944: Elias Gottlieb, born December 11, 1874 in Berlin. Wedding, Fritz-Schulz-Str. 60:99.

Alterstransport. Resided Berlin. Deportation: from Berlin January 10, 1944 to Theresienstadt. Date of death March 6, 1945 am, Theresienstadt [32]









January 10, 1973: Covert Lee Goodlove Initiated March 11, 1946 Passed April 1 1946, Raised April 22, 1946, all at Vienna Lodge No 142. Suspended November 13, 1972, Reinstated January 10, 1973. Demitted May 10, 1988 when they closed. Birthdate November 12, 1911, Died August 30, 1997. May 10, 1988 joined Benton City LodgeNo. 81, Shellsburg, IA. Became a 50 Year Mason, June 19, 1996. [33]



January 10, 1984

The United States restores diplomatic relations with the Vatican, which were broken off in 1867.[34]





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/

[2] http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/

[3] http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/

[4]The return of Connolly was the opening of Pandora’s box—the beginning, in earnest, of the boundary troubles at Fort Pitt and vicinity, which continued to agitate the western country with more or less severity for the next ten years. Immediately, acting under Dunmore’s orders, he began to enforce jurisdiction over the disputed territory.

[5] Washington-Crawford Letters, C. W. Butterfield

[6] [Note 97: These instructions, in an unidentified hand, are signed by Washington. Cleveland, because of illness, was obliged to relinquish control of the expedition in favor of William Stevens; but he took charge again in April, 1775. The articles of agreement, dated Jan. 10, 1775, between Washington and Cleveland, who was from Loudoun County, Va., are in the Washington Papers. By them the business was to be conducted by Cleveland until Dec. 10, 1775, and he was to be paid £100 Virginia currency.]

[7] The George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress, 1741-1799

The Writings of George Washington from the Original Manuscript Sources, 5-1799. John C. Fitzpatrick, Editor--vol. 03



[8] The George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress, 1741-1799

Letters to Washington and Accompanying Papers. Published by the Society of the Colonial Dames of America. Edited by Stanislaus Murray Hamilton.--vol. 05

[9] On This Day in America by John Wagman.

[10] Common Sense by Thomas Paine, 1776, pgs. 9-14.

[11] Jewish Life in Pennsylvania by Dianne Ashton, 1998 pg. 8.

[12] Diary of the American War, A Hessian Journal by Captain Johann Ewald pgs.191-196.

[13] Diary of the American War, A Hessian Journal by Captain Johann Ewald pgs.191-196.

[14] www.ancestry.com, http://www.bryanfamilyonline.com/strictree.html

[15] Journal of a Hessian Grenadier Battalion, Translated by Bruce E. Burgoyne

[16] http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/

[17] The Horn Papers, Early Westward Movement on the Monongahela and Upper Ohio 1765-1795 by W.F. Horn Published for a Committee of the Greene County Historical Society, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania by the Hagstrom Company, New York, N.Y. 1945

Ref. 33.92 Conrad and Caty by Gary Goodlove 2003

[18] http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/textindices/C/CUTLIP+2000+139332049+F

[19] http://doclindsay.com/spread_sheets/2_davids_spreadsheet.html

[20] On This Day in America by John Wagman.

[21] http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/

[22] On This Day in America by John Wagman.

[23] William Harrison Goodlove Civil War Diary by Jeff Goodlove

[24] North Carolina State Archives,

[25] North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh, 12/1/06, Papers of Zebulon Vance

[26] Photo by Jeff Goodlove

[27] [1] Gedenkbuch, Opfer der Verfolgung der Juden unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft in Deutschland 1933-1945. 2., wesentlich erweiterte Auflage, Band II G-K, Bearbeitet und herausgegben vom Bundesarchiv, Koblenz, 2006, pg. 1033-1035,.

[28] Winton Goodlove papers.

[29] Winton Goodlove Papers.

[30] Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, Israel Gutman, Editor, page 1764.

[31] Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, Israel Gutman, Editor, page 1769

[32] [1] Gedenkbuch, Opfer der Verfolgung der Juden unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft in Deutschland 1933-1945. 2., wesentlich erweiterte Auflage, Band II G-K, Bearbeitet und herausgegben vom Bundesarchiv, Koblenz, 2006, pg. 1033-1035,.

• Gedenkbuch Berlins der jusdishen Opfer des Nationalsozialismus

• “Ihre Namen mogen nie vergessen werden!”



[33] Karen L. Davies Administrative Assistant, Grand Lodge of Iowa A.F. & A.M.PO Box 279, Cedar Rapids, IA 52406-0279. 319-365-1438.

[34] On This Day in America by John Wagman.

No comments:

Post a Comment