Thursday, January 20, 2011

This Day in Goodlove History, January 20

• This Day in Goodlove History, January 20
• By Jeffery Lee Goodlove
• jefferygoodlove@aol.com

• Surnames associated with the name Goodlove have been spelled the following different ways; Cutliff, Cutloaf, Cutlofe, Cutloff, Cutlove, Cutlow, Godlib, Godlof, Godlop, Godlove, Goodfriend, Goodlove, Gotleb, Gotlib, Gotlibowicz, Gotlibs, Gotlieb, Gotlob, Gotlobe, Gotloeb, Gotthilf, Gottlieb, Gottliebova, Gottlob, Gottlober, Gottlow, Gutfrajnd, Gutleben, Gutlove

• The Chronology of the Goodlove, Godlove, Gottlob, Gottlober, Gottlieb (Germany) etc., and Allied Families of Battaile, (France), Crawford (Scotland), Harrison (England), Jackson (Ireland), LeClere (France), Lefevre (France), McKinnon (Scotland), Plantagenets (England), Smith (England), Stephenson (England?), Vance (Ireland from Normandy), and Winch (England, traditionally Wales), including correspondence with -George Rogers Clarke, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson.

• The Goodlove/Godlove/Gottlieb families and their connection to the Cohenim/Surname project:
• New Address! http://www.familytreedna.com/public/goodlove/default.aspx

• This project is now a daily blog at:
• http://thisdayingoodlovehistory.blogspot.com/
• Goodlove Family History Project Website:
• http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/o/o/Jeffery-Goodlove/

• Books written about our unique DNA include:
• “Abraham’s Children, Race, Identity, and the DNA of the Chosen People” by Jon Entine.

• “ DNA & Tradition, The Genetic Link to the Ancient Hebrews” by Rabbi Yaakov Kleiman, 2004.

• My thanks to Mr. Levin for his outstanding research and website that I use to help us understand the history of our ancestry. Go to http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/ for more information. “For more information about the Weekly Torah Portion or the History of Jewish Civilization go to the Temple Judah Website http://www.templejudah.org/ and open the Adult Education Tab "This Day...In Jewish History " is part of the study program for the Jewish History Study Group in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

A point of clarification. If anybody wants to get to the Torah site, they do not have to go thru Temple Judah. They can use http://DownhomeDavarTorah.blogspot.com and that will take them right to it.


January 20, 1707-1708
The will of Captain John Battaile, dated January 20, 1707-8, is given in full:
THE WILL OF JOHN BATTAILE.
In the name of God, Amen. I, John Battaile of the Parish of St. Mary’s in the County of Essex, being sick & weak in Body, but of perfect Sence & Memory, do make this my last Will & Testament, as followeth, my Soul to God that Gave it, & my Body to the Earth.

Imprimis. To my loving Wife Elizbth Battaile, negro Robin, & his wife Sarah, Penelope, Nanny, and Jenny, Also, Horse Strawberry, & the Two Cart Horses,1 likewise the plantation that I had of John Powell, during her life with full power to Clear and tend as far as the hither side of John Bournes Levell, it being in full Liew of her thirds or Dower of my Lands & negros. .
Item, I give to my Son Jno. Battaile, Negroes Torn, Bess, Prank, MoIl & her child Beck, also Horses Smoaker & Fryer, & the land I bought of John Bredgar from the River Side to the hithermost part of Powells branch near Mr. Fran. Thornton’s, also the land that I bought of Edward Stephens & Hen. Stephens & the Remaining part of the Tract that I gave to m~ loving wife all which lands I give to my said Son to him & his heirs forever But if John dies before he comes of age I give to my son Hay Battaile & his heirs forever, the Remaining part of the Tract his Mother lives on & to my Son Lawrence Battai1e & his heirs forever, all the rest of ye lands which belonged to John. Item, I give to my Son Hay Battaile, the Remaining part of the lands I bought
of Bredgar to him. & his heirs forever, Negroe Jack & Judy four Cows four yows & three Sows & a horse thats called Brimstone, a feather bed, bolsters & pillows, Blankets & Rug, an Iron Pot, fryan pan & Pestle, & my will is that my Executors, after named, do Seat my Son Lawrence’s Plantation, as soon as conveniently thay can and put his things upon it.

Item. I give to my daughter Eliz, Battaile three hundred Acres of Land I bought of Mr. Samp. Darrell to her. & her heirs forever, Negroe Sampson & Wva. also four Cows, four yows and three Sows & horse Snip, Side Saddle &
furniture, two silver spoons, a feather Bed, Bolsters & Pillows, Blankets & Rug.

Item, I give to my Son Hay Battaile, the Plantation his Mother dwells on, after her death, to him & his heirs forever. I give Solomons Garden to my Sd. Son & my Son Nicholas Battaile, to be equally divided to them & their heirs for ever & if either of them die before they come of age, the Survivor to enjoy it, also I give to Hay Battaile, Negroe Duke & Madam, and a young Coult called Ham, four Cowcs, four yows & three Sows, a feather bed, bolsters & Pillows Blankets & Rug.

Item, I give to my Son Nicholas Battaile, Negroes, Captain & Phillis & the First Conk that the old mare brings, also four Cows, four Vows & three Sows, a feather bed, bolsters & Pillows, Blankets, and Rug.

Item, All the rest of my estate after my Debts & Funeral Charges being paid, I give to be equally divided between my Loving Wife & my Son John, in kind, either at my Wife’s second marriage, or at my Son John’s death, or at his coming of age, which either first happens & that to be divided by Colonel Jno. Catlett, Mr. Francis Taliaferro & Mr. Jam. Harrison or any two of them, & upon any such division my Son John~ to give security for the maintenance of my Daughter Elizabeth & my Son Lawrence, till Lawrence comes of age, or Elizabeth Marries, & my loving Wife’ to give security for the maintenance of my Son Hay & my Son Nicholas, ~till they come of age, and I do hereby Revoke all former wills by me made, & do hereby make my loving Wife & my Son Executrix & executor of this$ my last Will & Testament and during the minority of my sd Son, I do appoint my Bro. Chas. Taliaferro & Mr Wm. Thornton to Act in my Son John’s Stead.

Item, My Will is that my sons shall be of age when they shall successively’ attain to the age of Seventeen years, to possess their Estates, but not to make any disposal of land & Negroes till their one & twenty and my will is my Estate be Inventoried in Six Months after my Decease by those Sd. Gentlemen above mentioned, or any two of them.

In Witness Whereof I have set my hand and seal, this Twentieth day of Janry, in the year of our Lord 1707-8.

This—my things, interlined before sign’s.’

Jno. Battaile (Seal)
Signed Sealed & Published in the presence of
Andrew Harrison Signum
Jno. X James
Proved by the Oaths of Andrew Harrison and John James the Witnesses theretc in Essex County Court, the 10th day of February, 1707-8, And was ordered to ~be Recorded, And is Recorded.
~ ,,,) , Test:

Richard Buckner, Cl. Cur.

The Andrew Harrison who witnessed this will was Andrew Sr., who also acted as guardian of Elizabeth Battaile for some years during her minority. She married his son, Andrew Jr.

before 1708
The connection between Andrew1and John Battaile as headrights to Cadwallader Jones has been established. Joseph Battaile, Under-Sheriff for the south side of the Rappahannock, had married first Catherine Taliaferro, who had been a ward of Cadwallader Jones following her father's death. Following her death, Battaile married Elizabeth Smith, daughter of Lawrence Smith.

1708
In 1708, Andrew1 Harrison was appointed guardian for Elizabeth, daughter of John Battaile, deceased.
1708
After John Battaile died, his daughter Elizabeth became the ward of Andrew1 Harrison in 1708; two years later, she married


January 20, 1749: Archibald Woodsb: January 20, 1749 in Albemarle County, Virginiad: December 13, 1836 in Madison County, Kentucky
.....+Mourning Harris Sheltonb: 1756m: August 5, 1773d: UnknownFather: William Shelton, Jr.Mother: Lucy Harris
.....3 Lucy Woodsb: October 25, 1774 in Albemarle County, Virginiad: 1854
.........+William Capertonb: Unknownm: December 13, 1790d: Unknown
.....3 William Woodsb: March 22, 1776d: July 8, 1884
.........+Mary Harrisb: Unknownm: January 12, 1802d: Unknown
.....3 Susanna Woodsb: June 13, 1778d: October 2, 1851
.........+William Goodloveb: Unknownm: February 23, 1796d: Unknown

• January 20, 1942: Eichmann, now a Lieutenant Colonel was told to organize a meeting to iron out the detail of this so called “final solution.” The conference was set for January 20, 1942. [1]
• In the Berlin suburb of Wannsee a conference presided over by Heydrich and attended by fourteen top Nazi officials, is held to coordinate the extermination of the Jews. [2] Of Europe’s 11 million Jews, those who could work would be worked to death, following the model already created at Auschwitz and other camps. Jews who were not selected for useful labvor would be eliminated.
• The conference led to a dramatic increase in activity at the Nazi death camps. [3]

• January 20, 2009” Some[82] claim that anti-Semitism and anti-Judaism exist in important circles of the Society - an allegation that defenders of the SSPX reject, stating that the Society has lay supporters and even a priest with Jewish backgrounds.[83]
• The views of Bishop Richard Williamson have been a particular source of controversy, as have those of another British SSPX cleric, the late Fr. .[84] For example, Bishop Williamson has written:
– "[U]ntil [the Jews] re-discover their true Messianic vocation, they may be expected to continue fanatically agitating, in accordance with their false messianic vocation of Jewish world-dominion, to prepare the Anti-Christ's throne in Jerusalem. So we may fear their continuing to play their major part in the agitation of the East and in the corruption of the West. Here the wise Catholic will remember that, again, the ex-Christian nations have only their own Liberalism to blame for allowing free circulation within Christendom to the enemies of Christ."[85]
• In an interview with Sveriges Television in January 2009, Williamson repeated his opinion that the generally accepted history of the Holocaust is wrong. He accepted an estimate of only 200,000-300,000 Jews killed in Nazi custody, and denied that gas chambers were used for the purpose.[86]
• Bishop Williamson's supporters[who?] counter that he has never advocated racist hatred of Jews, and that he hopes for the Jews' conversion and salvation. Williamson's views, moreover, on this and other subjects are controversial even within traditionalist Catholicism: see the main article on him for more details. After his January 2009 interview, both the Superior General of the SSPX, Bishop Fellay, and the District Superior of the SSPX in Germany, Fr. Franz Schmidberger, stated that Williamson's views represented his own personal opinions.[87]
• The SSPX was also accused of anti-Semitism in a 2006 report on Traditionalist Catholicism published by the American Southern Poverty Law Center. Defenders of the Society have strongly criticised the report and accused the SPLC of using accusations of anti-Semitism as a means of "silencing opponents of liberalism."[88] They have drawn parallels to similar accusations against Jewish scholars like Norman Finkelstein.
• In 1989, Paul Touvier, a fugitive wanted for war crimes, was arrested in the SSPX priory in Nice. The SSPX stated at the time that Touvier had been granted asylum there as "an act of charity to a homeless man".[89] In 1994, Touvier was sentenced to life imprisonment for ordering the execution of seven Jews at Rillieux-la-Pape in 1944, allegedly in reprisal for the Resistance's killing of the Vichy minister Philippe Henriot.[90] On his death in 1996, a Requiem Mass was offered for him at the SSPX church of St Nicolas du Chardonnet in Paris.[citation needed] Touvier had expressed remorse for his actions and had asked for forgiveness.[citation needed]
• January 20, 2010

• My apologies for not getting out “This Day” for the past several days. Sherri and I spent a 4 day weekend with Mary and Gary in Largo, Florida where they are staying this winter. The weekend was not so much as a restful weekend as my dad had, as suspected, a complete itinerary in hand at all times. I must say that I am exhausted from the pace that these two snowbirds keep and I will need a few days to fully recover. Between my father driving and my mother backseat driving I am sure I need a stress test or some counseling or both. Anyway, we all survived and I am sure we set some sort of record for sites seen in one weekend.

• The Florida farmers have been hit very hard by the cold weather, and so have the fish. While we visited the most beautiful beach in America it could not be held without notice that the cold water has killed and driven away most of the fish. This of course has not kept my father from his quest of catching a fish in his life time. Fortunately the restaurants are getting them somehow and our fish dinners were not affected.

• Mom is happy as a Jaybird with number of Thrift stores and Flea markets of biblical proportions. Even as I called upon our return home my mother was proud to point out that she had just purchased a rare and elusive “Flying Pig”.

• Gary is checking on the manufacturer’s specification of the RV unit to see how much extra weight it can carry as Jennifer was here last week and purchased enough inventory to open another store. This includes a life sized stuffed horse.

• We managed to avoid arrest somehow at the Ringling Art Museum where Mr. Ringling put his collection of art that is now valued at several hundred million dollars. At one point of the tour Gary, while pointing out an artistic notation of a Rembrandt to the tour guide he walked up to the painting and pointed at the exact location of several of the areas he was referring to. At this point I fully expected the security detail to come and arrest all of us. Fortunately he apparently did not actually touch the Rembrandt, although I swear it appeared that he did, a couple of times. Anyway everyone had one of those brief heart failures that are only temporary and we all hurried on to the next room but it really was starting to feel like the hockey game at Dubuque and I was wondering how I was going to avoid arrest myself if they came to handcuff my dad. They really should have ropes up.

• Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment